Payment Arrangement/ Extension Request Instructions

If you receive a termination notice, you must first contact the utility company to request an extension and/or a payment arrangement. Often if you contact the utility before the notice expires, the utility will try to work with you as long as you are able to make a reasonable offer to pay what you owe. Some of the utilities will allow you to request a payment plan through their website. Utilities have the right to refuse to negotiate a new payment plan, if you defaulted on a payment plan during the past 18 months.

If you need help with obtaining an extension and/or payment plan, you may contact the Commission’s Consumer Affairs Division (CAD). CAD is not a consumer advocacy office, but will refer you to the Office of Home Energy Programs (OHEP), Fuel Fund of Maryland, and may also suggest other resources for you to contact.

CAD staff is available to take your call Monday through Friday, except holidays, between 9 a.m.-Noon and 1-4 p.m. To reach CAD call toll-free at 1-800-492-0474, option #3 then press #1 or call (410) 767-8028, press #1. You can also file an online request for an extension and/or payment arrangement through our website. You will need to provide your account number and a telephone number when completing the online form, or when speaking with CAD.

An inability to pay what you owe for service provided to you by the utility is not considered a complaint. If you have a complaint concerning your bill or any provision of utility service, and you were not satisfied with the company’s response to you, then you may file a written complaint with OER. (See Complaint Procedures.)

Back to FAQ Topics